Friday, October 19, 2012

Crafts with a toddler...

I always read blogs of moms with toddlers and think, "these moms can do it ALL." I am envious of those moms. I feel like a failure sometimes at the end of the day when Ryan asks what we did that day and I think for minutes, trying to remember what we did. We didn't really do anything.

Today, I decided we're going to do a craft. I googled, "Crafts with Toddlers" and I came to this one craft. I figured it was easy, there were only 3 simple steps: find leaves, grate wax crayons, iron it together.

Well.

That's a fine and easy craft with "normal" toddlers. But when you have a tornado of a child, crafting is not easy. 3 easy steps is 2 steps too many.

Oh, and "grate wax crayons"??? That step should be 18 steps long. Grating wax crayons is hard. It takes forever. It SUCKS. I ended up using a pencil sharpener to speed up the process, and in the end not only do I have to throw out my pencil sharpener, I also need to throw out my 2 graters that I tried using first. I am not a pinterest-mom.

I cannot stress that enough.

But here is my little monkey face doing the craft. We went outside, bundled up warm only to discover it was +14C outside and the hat, boots, and coat were way too warm for outside. But I digress.

Step 1: find leaves

Photobucket

Photobucket

Step 2:

Grate the wax crayons. This process takes 200 hours. While grating or sharpening your wax crayons, try to keep your toddler busy. Alternatively, a much better way to do this is doing this the day before. Unfortunately, the site I was using did NOT state that. I highly recommend it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Step 3:

Have your child show off her drawing, which she is way more proud of than the craft we just worked on.

Photobucket

Step 4:

Iron the wax paper together on a low hot setting. Finished product. Does NOT look as great as it does on the original website I got these instructions from.

Photobucket

Step 5:

Go for a walk to calm down from nearly losing your nerves during the entire crafting process.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Step 6:

Wait until your child is at least 3 or has an attention span longer than .5 seconds to start doing crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!