Monday, October 7, 2013

Aaaaaand we're back!

I know, I know. I've seriously been slacking in the blogging department.

It's been like 2 months since I updated my blog. I hope you can forgive me. Life with 2 kids, a needy dog, a job, and a book for sale have really all taken over my life.

When Aryn was a baby, I blogged about everything - when she first smiled, rolled over, bad nights, good nights - everything. Poor Lucas... I haven't written anything down, no blogging, barely any photos (my camera broke a couple of weeks ago at a photoshoot and I need to bring it in to get fixed... however it's going to cost more to fix than the lens is worth so...). I haven't taken many photos lately except with my cell phone! Whoops!

I have written and deleted the next part of this blog post about 7 times now. Nothing seems right. We are in the midst of the 4-month regression phase... where babies scream all night, refuse to sleep, roll over and wake themselves up, don't nap, cry for no reason, and all around make you question why you decided to do this again.

Right when I thought something has to be wrong for Lucas to be the way he's been the last few weeks, I decided to read my blog posts from when Aryn was the same age. Yeah... babies are just terrors at 4 months. They're all the same.

I believe that the 4-month stage is God's way of getting you ready for the rest of parenthood. If you can make it through this phase - without ending up in a mental institute - you are set for life. Parenthood can only get better after that 4-months. I'll take fits and temper tantrums in a crowded mall over the 4-month age any day.

Reading my blog from when Aryn was this age, things started getting better at about 5/5.5 months. So I have a couple of weeks to go. We can do this.

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. 

Strangely enough, I feel better knowing Aryn was this way... even though I seriously don't remember. She's a great sleeper. She's a sweet, sweet little girl. She's hilarious, and kind, and compassionate, and has never thrown a bona fide 'temper tantrum'. There's hope left for Lucas.

I have been referring him to being "5 months old" lately... because he's 4 months, 4 weeks. But he's not 5 months for another week and a half. But I have found myself comparing these 2 quite regularly.

For instance...

Aryn on February 14 (5 months): 16 lbs 1.75 oz, 26"
Lucas on September 30 (4 months, 2 weeks): 14 lbs 15 oz, 25.5"

See how they're wearing the same shirt?

I'll do a better comparison on the 16th, but for the most part, these 2 are pretty much identical in weight and length. However, Aryn always seemed "solid", and Lucas just seems so "small". Maybe his 2 chins weigh more than his skinny little legs.

Tonight, we start a wee bit of sleep training. Mama is exhausted; last night I got up with Lukey every 2 hours. I didn't check the clock but I realized this morning every time he made a fuss, I fed him to knock him back out. Bad mommy! So tonight, the monitor is getting shut off. He's going to be put to bed on his back (he needs to learn that if he rolls onto his back while sleeping, he doesn't need me to roll him back over).

Oh yeah... he sleeps on his stomach... Bad Mommy #2...

I am pretty sure tonight is going to suck. I am expecting we wake Aryn up. I am preparing for a tired husband (although, I don't really have much sympathy for him!). I am planning on being a zombie for another week until we get this figured out. I'm all for feeding him 1-3 times a night. It's the 6 times that needs to be canned. Tonight begins that process.

Wish us luck. Wish me luck.

Once we get this sleep thing figured out, I'll come back with a funny post about all the craziness we encounter in our day. I'll talk about how Aryn has just become the sweetest, most tender little girl - no more toddler tornado for her. I'll talk about how Aryn started pre-school, how Lukey tasted rice cereal last night (and did not like it), about how Aryn's 100% potty trained, how Lukey rolls like a maniac, how Aryn loves playing, how Lukey laughs - like real, true belly laughs - at his sister, about how Aryn loves Doc McStuffins and has become our family doctor, etc. etc. etc.

Just you wait. Once we get this settled and I'm getting more than 2 hours of sleep in a matter of a week, I'll blow your socks off with the most awesomest blog post ever. Just you wait. And keep waiting. Because it may be awhile.

In the meantime, please buy my book.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like rice cereal either as a baby so mom had to make me runny mashed potatoes. I also never ever liked pablum or oatmeal and still don't.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!